Your Texas personal Injury Lawyer: Personal Injury FAQs

Based in Rockwall, Texas, The Law Firm of Patrick Short represents victims and their families in personal injury and wrongful death claims arising out of a motor vehicle accidents, defective products, medical malpractice, and claims involving serious bodily injury.  Texas personal injury lawyer Patrick Short has over twenty-three years of experience successfully handling personal injury and wrongful death trials and has been selected as a member of the American Trial Lawyers Association’s Top 100 Trial Lawyers.  Below, please find the answers to frequently asked questions we commonly hear from clients.

Q.  If I have been injured or lost a loved one, how long do I have to file a lawsuit?
A.  In most cases you have up to two years to file a lawsuit for your own injuries or the loss of a loved one.  However, as time passes, essential evidence may be lost, and witnesses’ memories may fade, making their testimony less reliable.  For these reasons, if you have been injured due to the negligence or wrongful act of another, you should contact an experienced Texas personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.

Q.   If I have been injured, should I see a doctor right away or wait until I recover damages in a lawsuit or insurance settlement? Who will pay for my medical bills?
A.  If another party caused your injuries, you should be able to recover for the cost of your medical bills, including emergency care, x-rays, prescriptions, rehabilitation treatment, and any other necessary medical treatments and procedures.  With respect to immediate payment needs, if you have health insurance, your insurer should pay for your medical bills in the manner it ordinarily would pay for your health care, and this will help reduce any immediate out-of-pocket expenses.  If you do not have health insurance, your lawyer may be able to help you negotiate with doctors and hospitals to make payment arrangements while your lawsuit is pending.

Q.  If I intend to settle my personal claim with an insurance company, do I need a Texas personal injury lawyer to represent me?
A.  In many personal injury cases, either the accident victim or the person who caused the accident has liability insurance, and the insurance company will settle the claim.  Insurance companies, however, are motivated to settle claims for as little money as possible.  Representation from an experienced personal injury lawyer in Texas, who the insurance company knows is not afraid to go to trial, will help ensure that you receive a fair settlement that fully compensates you for your injuries.

To learn more about our services in this area of law, see the personal injury practice page.

Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer in Texas

If you have been injured in an accident, you may be able to recover damages for your injuries. Texas personal injury lawyer Patrick Short understands the emotional and financial difficulties you face when you are seriously injured, and is available to help ensure you fully recover. Most personal injury cases are taken on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay no legal fees unless we successfully recover damages on your behalf.  Contact The Law Firm of Patrick Short today at 800-759-1484 for a free initial consultation.

Schedule a FREE Consultation

4 + 6 =