Personal Injury Statistics
Each year, millions of people suffer minor to deadly injuries because of someone else’s carelessness. Texas personal injuries due to negligence of another may entitle you to compensation. Personal injury attorneys in Texas can help you recover medical expenses, time off work, and pain and suffering. To discuss your case, contact one of the personal injury law firms in Texas.
Texas Personal Injury Statistics
- According to 2008 crash data from the Texas Department of Transportation:
- Nearly 3,500 people die in motor vehicle accidents each year. Someone is killed every 2.5 hours and injured every 32 minutes.
- 61,954 serious injury crashes forced 84,508 people to suffer brain trauma, spinal cord injury, burns and amputations.
- 529 people died in motorcycle crashes;
- 56 percent were not wearing a helmet.
- The Texas Council on Family Violence reports 193,505 instances of domestic abuse in 2008 which killed 136 women and injured countless others.
- On average, medical malpractice lawsuits are filed against 13,700 Texas physicians and 400 nurses annually, according to the National Practitioner Data Bank.
- A National Floor Safety Institute study says slip and fall injuries force supermarkets in Texas to pay more than $450 million in legal expenses and settlements annually.
U.S. Personal Injury Statistics
- 1.7 million people in the United States suffer traumatic brain injury each year; 52,000 die, 275,000 are hospitalized, and about 5.3 million live with disabilities from a brain injury. (Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center)
- The National Spinal Cord Injury Association Resource Center documents an average of 7,800 serious spinal cord injuries occur each year; 250,000 to 400,000 victims currently live with a spinal cord injury, half of whom have no sensation or function below the injury. (National Spinal Cord Injury Association Resource Center)
- Dogs bite about 5 million people each year; 12 to 15 of the victims die because of an infection. (Center for Disease Control)
- There are more than 700 fatalities and 4,300 injuries in roughly 6,400 boating accidents each year; operator inattention, speeding, and carelessness cause nearly 70 percent of the accidents. (United States Coast Guard)
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer
The Law Firm of Patrick Short is available to help you now. We offer free initial consultations, flexible appointment hours, and legal services in Spanish. We take most Texas personal injury and wrongful death cases on a contingency fee basis and offer flexible payment arrangements in criminal defense matters. Call us today at 1-800-759-1484.